Sunday, July 4, 2010

many Haiku to mark the missed days

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unlike a year ago, it's a hot July day. We took an early walk, got some fresh cucumbers from a neighbor, fertilized and watered the vegetable garden. I also filled the birdbath since we haven't had rain for about a week.
Now I'm facing the challenge of how to make up for a week of posts and not be too long.
I was in Manchester NH at the Art Educators' Summer Institute at the Institute of Art(http://www.nhia.edu/). I stayed in the dorm and could have done a daily post. I was just too tired to think at the end of exciting and demanding work in the studio. I was in an all day workshop - "Book Arts gone Wild" with Mark Wangberg. (He has a book in 500 Handmade Books.)
I wrote about my trip to the emergency room in Florida, cried when I read aloud, and created a scroll to contain the story. I am very happy with my book and was totally blown away with some of the other work. We made paste papers to use in the construction of our books. Mark showed us several strategies for book binding. I'll post photos of my scroll in a couple days. Today I have to catch up...
I'll post the photos and comment mininally.
DAILY HAIKU 2009
July 4
celebrate the sight
of purple and pink along
clouds' edges at dawn





July 3,
thick, heavy grasses with seeds
off-key notes of the distant wood thrush
cloudy skies clearing



July 2

Leaves glisten above
black marker of stone.Black
lush mosses grow green.




July 1, 2009 Roadside grasses each year catch my eye, and usually I pick some to bring home, again are there to be captured somehow.


seed heavy grasses
arrange details in garden
gently bubbling brook

The 30th was a day to dig in the garden and clean out stuff that didn't belong where it was. the messy collage shows the work effort and how I felt after.

















The 29th is a miniature of a drawing I created inspired by Pierre Bonnard. Garden #1 shows through the little window.



June 28th the grasses along the road are represented in the curve of the writing and the diagonal pencil lines. The word "rain" was erased from the pencil area.

delicate grass stems
bow deeply, weighted by days
of rains, slow and fast
On June 27, several of my colleagues and I did a garden tour through Exeter and Stratham.

No comments:

Post a Comment