Wednesday, July 28, 2010

great and small beauties

Deezel and I went to Adam's Point this morning for a change of pace. He got nervous the first time we went there- too new, I guess. This time he was okay for the most part. He walked along the rocky shore with me, sniffed a dead horseshoe crab, and trotted every where he went sniffing.
The path near the water follows the shape of the point. We start and end at the same place, but make the whole trip around the point. A lovely Great Blue Heron posed for me along the water's edge.
On the return path there was an abandoned box near the path. Deezel balked. He wouldn't go past it. He did bark at it. I kept walking and left him behind. At one point, I looked back, he had a sad, a pathetically sad face. I continued on and repeatedly called him. Finally, he worked up his courage and came running up the path.
I gathered some marvelous stones. It still amazes me that the stones along the coast could be so geometric, so angular. Of course, the beach here doesn't have the wave action of an exposed beach. It's on Great Bay near Jackson Estuarine Lab in Durham NH.
I have two more nature shots to share. Yesterday afternoon we had a dragonfly floating in the pool. Roger brought it in and I photographed it. It's about 5" long and has beautiful blue highlights.They are incredible creatures and they eat mosquitoes !! I'm sorry he died, but I do have a lovely specimen to share with my students since our theme is "Our Big Backyard".


The other photo is of a sphinx moth on the bee balm. They look like tiny hummingbirds. One today looked about the same size as a bumblebee.





DAILY HAIKU 2009
July 28
This entry records a trip to Lowell to the Quilt Museum with Jacque. I went to see friends and the exhibit.
For this image, I tore a section of a leftover card I had made with "Trip Around The World" quilt pattern. I had used the pattern in my quilt "Cobblestones and Cornerstones" about Lowell. The sun stamp shows that we at least had an occasional summer-like day.
I still get a fond feeling when I make that trip south on Rte. 495 through Massachusetts and drive through Tewksbury into Lowell with its attractive architecture.

often traveled path
brings memories, sights and sounds
sweetly patched in time

No comments:

Post a Comment