Monday, July 5, 2010

heat and more heat...

July 5 2010 will be remembered as one of our hottest days in a long time. We read 92 at 2:00. It's too hot for me to be outside. I'm stitching muslin panels to cover the kitchen skylights since the heat is projected to last through the week. It makes a difference to block out that direct summer sun, although our days are getting shorter.

I'm taking a cue from Buck Wheat - just lounge around, do nothing, eat occasionally and have plenty of water.

Since it's too hot to be outside, I'll add photos of the scroll I made at the Institute last week. The outside is "paste papers" on white and metallic paper. There are six strips of 18" paper together.I butted the ends and glued them with tracing paper. The handles are 3 chopsticks glued together and painted. The tie is a cord strung through the left side. I added two glass beads made by my friend Linda Foote.





They add just the weight it needed to hold the bone closure under the cord.

The inside is a map of Florida with white paste/paint over its surface, cut it into strips, butted it together and glued it to the paste papers. I used Tech pens of two sizes to create the EKG lines and hand wrote the text to look like doctors' notations. It's a nice object opened and closed. Thanks to Mark and all the people in the class who were supportive and inspirational.




DAILY HAIKU 2009

Last year, I enjoyed reclining in the sun after a morning in the garden followed by a refreshing dip.


Reach deep in my
aching soul and tired body.
Warm the deepest needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment