Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"3 air conditioners and new shades" HOT

Thankfully, yesterday's stress test is over - due to my Florida incident, the doctor there and my doctor recommended it - to see if there is some reason for the "elevated enzymes" following the respiratory distress incident. I'm probably one of very few people who have never used a treadmill. It was too hot when I came out of the hospital ( car thermometer read 101) for a stop at the hardware store for expandable rods.
I'm assembling shades to help keep the heat out of the kitchen and living room. I have a small piece of muslin and a leftover from a long-ago project to make them for the kitchen. One has enough length to make up for the shortness of the other.
You know it's unusually hot when we're covering windows ! Last year, we didn't even use the window AC in the living room. It looks like we'll be putting one in the studio this afternoon.
This morning,I even used the sprinkler on gardens 1 & 2. The plants in garden 2 were the worst- brown ferns and wilted bloodroot. I have three plants there that I can never remember the names of, but they wilt due to heat and/or dryness. And the jack-in-the-pulpits were wilted.
Then I hand watered the veggies. Last year we had slugs who enjoyed the lettuce. This year, we're watering twice a day. We use water from our system that collects water from the roof into 10 barrels under the deck. Even that is down about half.
Of course the rain will come in a thunder storm and will be torrential or short-lived and we could lose power.
After a morning dip and before I came in to escape the heat, I did some sketching in my new sketchbook with brown paper. Later I"ll read. The summer 2010 issue of "Surface Design Journal" has fabulous articles.
DAILY HAIKU 2009


July 6
I studied my gardens . The giant host leaves made a frame for the birdhouse.

The sun was trying to break through - I used the spiral stamp over a grey ink pad. I cut a photo for the other elements.
July 7
a single word says
it all - rain - seems constant - rain
soaking the smallest
I used tissue scraps with ink on them. They represent the colors that were in the gardens despite the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment