Thursday, December 2, 2010

full moon and straight trees

It's cooler than yesterday, but without the rain and wind. The sun is dazzling me through the studio windows - dirty from the driven rain of last night.The lights in the windows have shut off.
Deezel and I will leave shortly for our walk.


DAILY HAIKU 2009
December 2
I liked this entry so much that it was the basis for Christmas cards for 2009.
I enlarged it to 4" x6" and typed the text. I had it copied at a copy shop on white cardstock. Several people that got the card commented on its beauty. It certainly is an accessible image, one that everyone can identify with. It is colored pencil with a  favored Japanese paper for the frame.
                                 early morning moon
                            sets, modestly round behind
                               the straight, still tree trunks
I was inspired by the moon's position in the early morning in the north western sky as I walked Deezel through the woods.
The verse is successful, but I wish I'd left out "the" and used an adjective. Black seems obvious, but they were really a grey brown. "Strong" repeats an unnecessary sound - too much alliteration. Perhaps "thin"...

December 1
This entry is another of my favorites. I cut black cardstock for the trees and shadows. The moon is a piece of scrapbooking paper with a white on white print and a touch of gold not seen in the photo. The ink pad I used for the sky is obviously a "Cat's Eye" and is greyer than the photo. I used a silver on the ground. "December first" is stamped along the lower edge.
The verse written with pencil follows a curvy groundline.
                                       A full moon commands
                                     the black blue sky with shadows
                                         lines in the white light.

No comments:

Post a Comment