Thursday, March 4, 2010

Pine Tree Journal Quilt

Today's a grey morning, could be snow coming. I'm planning a walk down the road with the restless puppy. The broken pines are so sad. It looks like people have their power back, but the cleanup hasn't begun. I'm finishing my art journal entry dedicated to the pine in the woods that's still standing. Here's a quilt about the journal I constructed around my diary entries observing that pine one winter.

Each image is of a page from the journal printed on fabric. At that time I had to find a printer who would photo them onto the fabric. I'm thinking of collaging the individual pages onto a page of my 2010 artist's journal. Sometimes I feel it's cheating to use previous art on new art, but trees are definitely part of my personal iconography, so I guess it's acceptable to use it again.

I got permission from the artist (Bernie Rowell) to publish the March 1st entry on-line. You'll see her chickadee inspired my stamp.
I talked to the librarian at school about setting up my book 365 Daily Haiku 2009 in the library with some white gloves to share it with students and staff. I'll leave a little book for comments also.

March 4, 2009
The sun was cut from an ad in a magazine. The verse is written on tracing paper. The sky was stamped with a Color Box stamp pad.
Icy spring morning
reflects warmth. White snowy earth
holds a golden dawn.

The verse comes close to the traditional Haiku aesthetic of a connection to nature.

March 5, 2009
black birds on thin ice
pause to drink from free water
three crows top a pine


This image is one of my favorites. I used ads on nice glossy paper with loads of color from a craft publication - cut and combined beyond recognition.It brings back the scene that inspired it a year ago.The thin ice on the river was open in the middle of the stream where the birds were drinking. This too is another successful Haiku.


Nature is the best inspiration for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment