Monday, August 23, 2010

Art Journaling magazine

Finally some wetness, not really rain, but some variation of a rain has dampened the ground slightly and cooled the air nicely. Great day to be in the studio, maybe tidy up a little and solve the question of the next few pages in the current ART JOURNAL.
I'm leaving tag theme and doing a mixed media, seasonal page. The challenge is how to create some link between the two. I'll work on something else, that's when some solutions present themselves.
The indoor kitties are watching the birds with interest. Their eyes are round and their tails twitching. Zeek haunts poor Zoey , who right now s outside). She has to be carried in in the afternoon.
I saw the grey fox again Friday night. It started crossing the lawn even after I'd turned on the back light and Deezel was outside. It stared right at me. There's something humbling and exciting about eye contact with a wild animal. Whenever I have one of these encounters, it reminds me of Annie Dillard's writing about her eye to eye contact with a weasel.
Deezel and I saw some creatures on our walk Saturday, particularly at the pond which is very dry. We watched the Great Blue Heron as he/she walked on his stilt-like legs across the muddy pond bottom. Tiny frogs squeaked and hopped away into the grasses and little water to get away from him. Also, we watched what I think are upland sandpipers. They run around on the mud scaring froglets and eating bugs. Deezel liked watching them also.
DAILY HAIKU 2009
This entry is on the back of an old attendance card Paula gave me from her collection of stuff. The gold color could be its original color or its patina. I stamped the flip flops for a walk and used the paw print tissue for time with Deezel.
I created a border with drawn rectangles using a pen. I stamped with a square stamp as well as the spiral and sun stamps.
I printed the text on a piece of white paper then cut it into strips. I glued them to create a point of interest where they intersect. The day and date are also on a strip.
bright summer blossoms
fade with hot sultry days
passing to autumn
#234 , 8/22/09
I used another old attendance card that Paula gave me. I was looking at "Art Journaling '09" and got inspired by several ideas. Somehow from among the photos, the idea for repeating a motif on a page, framed came into my sketches.

early to change from
green to yellow, single leaves
beat the season's rush

This entry has become a fabric piece, but I have never found the right color for the leaves. It needs another border also.
August 21
hot sultry summer's
day reminds the green leaves that
fall will soon happen
"Art Journaling 09", p. 54 suggested a single image in a frame. Leaves are always a favorite and comfortable image to return to so I used a stylized leaf.
First I protected a rectangular space in the center, then stamped with gold, melon, then topaz stamp pads. I free drew the inner rectangles then the leaf in the center. The text follows the outline of the leaf in the same green.


















No comments:

Post a Comment