Thursday, August 19, 2010

heat of summer & woven non-fusible interfacing

I went to Portsmouth today looking for more "buckram" for a wallhanging based on "Scroll#2". First stop Jo-Ann's. They had buckram, but it's very stiff and not as transparent as what I had. What I had is "woven, non-fusible interfacing". I was at odds to describe to the sales clerk what I was working on. She didn't accept "an art project"as an answer to her inquiry, and wanted more information. I think I saw her loosing interest after I continued, "I'm making a scroll..."

The description, woven, non-fusible interfacing, was confirmed at Portsmouth Fabric - they didn't have any, but will order it. This sales clerk didn't ask what I needed it for. Is she more accustomed to different requests? Or maybe she sensed it was a not-explainable-in-few-words project. So,now I know I can make the wallhanging based on "Scroll #2". I'll plan and construct the patchwork over the next couple weeks. Stay tuned.

This morning I finished a page in ART JOURNAL: July- Dec and started the next. I stamped a small tag inside the stitched outline of the tags. On the right side, I made large tags from postcards about Luanne Udell's work (Craftsmen's Fair trip) and the Broderie Perse exhibit (New England Quilt Museum). I stitched the front of the pocket using scraps from the postcards and cheesecloth. I attached it to the page with a Tombow glue runner. The tags aren't attached, just tucked in. This will end the tag pages, for now.


DAILY HAIKU 2009

Both these entries could be about the summer of 2010. We've had heat most of the present summer and heat finally arrived for '09.
The orange Japanese paper and the red hot spirals for the sun denote the heat.
For the heat of the 19th, I stamped spirals and drew some with an orange LePlume. The text follows the geometric lines formed by the papers, stamps and pens.
How I'm baking in the
summer's heat. Steamy air will
soon chill and blow.

On th 18th, I attached a torn page from a book and wrote the verse over all the papers.

the heat of summer
roasts the air, the trees, all plants
we miss the cooling rains

No comments:

Post a Comment