Friday, August 6, 2010

weather looking LOVELY

On my way back from Portsmouth this morning, I saw something on the road. It was near the pond on New Road where Deezel and I stop to see frogs. I turned around to see if I could save this poor creature. It was a snapping turtle. It was dead, recently hit by a car. I moved it out of the road. Since it was about 5" long and nearly as wide and therefore visible, I wonder( with contempt for all automobile drivers), how could someone not see and avoid a poor helpless thing on the road. Going too fast probably.

We did get some rain yesterday.There were lots of frogs splatttered on the road this morning. They are impossible to see/miss, but a good sized turtle in broad daylight on a country road.....
Does this annoy anyone else?
Please, let's try to take better care of these defenseless, but important creatures.

DAILY HAIKU 2009
Last year I wrote of another animal observation. The hawks' chatter in the woods along New Road, led me to believe they were fledglings. They are so chatty. I'm sure the adults try to tell them to be quiet, but they squawk as little ones do...

No comments:

Post a Comment