Friday, September 3, 2010

Scroll #2, the need to make

It hasn't heated up today, yet. Earl is headed toward southern New England. I scraped one garage door this morning ( my thumb joints are aching). Roger's hoping to begin a primer coat on the trim tomorrow. Yesterday, my sister Elizabeth and I had a nice visit, quieter than at the anniversary party last week. I showed her my scrolls and "365 DAILY HAIKU 2009". She wondered what Roger thinks of my creating.
It's challenging to be a creativity based person. It's tougher when a mate/spouse does not openly acknowledge his/her creativity. Roger has seen me work on quilts, do shows and teach classes for about 30 years. He respects the skills I have.
Now, I create just because it's an integral part of me to create. I need to stay in touch with that side of who I am. I have a feeling of connection with the world and to my inner world. I have a sense of satisfaction when I've spent time being creative and having an actual item to show for the time behind me. I feel I've made a document of my time .
Particularly when the artwork is a journal. I can look back and bring yesterday to some kind of life again. When I mentioned to my sister that last summer was so rainy, she didn't remember that. I do because I recorded it. The record was done in a creative way.
As I visit these pieces of work, I feel satisfied that I stayed in touch with a creative aspect of myself. However, it makes me want to create more. I find myself thinking, I like how this worked I should do it again.
DAILY HAIKU 2009
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 3
I stitched a piece of vellum over a piece of scrapbook paper. It is a lovely blanket stitch. I used my Janome. I repeated a "stitch" with a marker around the border and for the leaf shape in the center. There are scraps under the vellum. The text highlights the leaf shape. The handwriting for the day and date along the lower edge balances the leaf. There is an energy and a sense of harmony in this piece that projects the sentiment.
The repeated paths are those I follow now with Deezel through the woods. This walk brought a sense of the presence of those I had walked with through the woods, particularly Monty and Sophie, now both physically gone.
Even though there is a sense of melancholy connected to these paths, there is a sense of reassurance because I feel the presence of my previous companions. Their spirits are in the leaves on the forest floor. I can sense them in my life still by walking the paths.
Walk repeated paths.
Old sights, sounds and rhythms soothe
and restore lost threads.



No comments:

Post a Comment