Thursday, September 9, 2010

individual leaf, appealing numerals


I walked four miles with Deezel this morning. It was overcast and on the cool side. I saved this leaf. It's the time of year that the leaves begin to fall. They fall one at a time, perhaps to be enjoyed.
Sometimes a solitary leaf will look like a strange insect as it's blown across the street.
This one is the perfect shape and colors for a fabric piece I started last year based on a Daily Haiku entry. I'm going to print it on fabric, cut it out and stitch it onto my wallhanging.
I need a clearer photo. I still have a hard time to not move my camera ever so slightly and get a blur.
I think I'll print it multiple times for " ART JOURNAL: July-Dec".
Of course, leaves are a recurring theme for me in my writing and visual art.
In spring, it's tiny, new light green leaves and in late summer, it's multi-colored, perfectly shaped, falling leaves. Last year, I picked up two very large oak leaves. I have one in a plastic sleeve on a bulletin board at school and the other in a sleeve and in the plastic pocket on the front of my plan book. They've lost some glow, but are impressive for their size.
Leaves show up in several entries of "365 DAILY HAIKU 2009" later this month.

September 9, 2009 (9/9/09)
What a lovely numerical designation for the day ! I used a stencil for the numbers, colored them with pencils, stencilled the ninepatch wth other greens and used the numbers repeatedly around the border. The verse is written around the nine patch:
Curious how some
numbers shape time and its sure,
steady, unseen beat.
I used white cardstock to assist the colored pencils in creating a transparent effect.
I wondered about March 3, 2009 - 3/3/09 - if the two numerically appealing days had any visual elements in common... here it is






September 8

The barcode stamp and stencil in two shades of green predominate in this entry. The sun stamp in two shades indicates the heat of the day. The simple verse documents a summer chore.
A comma after "garden" would clarify the meaning.
I watered the dry
vegetable garden, soon to
harvest the last crop.




No comments:

Post a Comment