Sunday, September 5, 2010

Labor Day weekend

Finally we're having cooler weather. Actually it feels like early October !!!! Deezel and I walked 3miles.
I am saddened that a neighbor, with a fabulous property, mowed the field with hundreds of milk weed plants in it. The poor monarchs have no food source there anymore.
Years ago I hand pieced a quilt in tribute to the milkweeds and the monarchs. It's a landscape of a field of milkweed pods in winter. To many people, it looks like the beach with shells. I'm fine with that interpretation.
I was inspired on a drive when the milkweed pods still standing looked as though someone had planted them in a neat arrangement. I sketched it out and created a refined drawing, on which to base the pattern, when I got home.


I looked through my fabrics and started adding what I needed. The background has various fabrics, including a silk charmeuse ( don't you love that word?). The pods are constructed of corduroy, silk and wools. The gold lining is milium, a coat lining fabric. Some of the pods are dimensional. The stems are heavy yarn couched.

There are butterflies handquilted into the quilt. Two are in the top border. One is in the white silk square toward the left in the middle and the one in the middle near the bottom.Around about two thirds of the lower portion I inserted grey piping between the two borders.
Even though viewers don't always see what I saw, I am still happy with its overall effect.
The second grade does a big unit of study around the monarchs and their life cycle. I'll show them this quilt.



DAILY HAIKU 2009
Neither of these entries has an image that relates to the text....
September 5
I photographed this one several times. I could not get a clear photo.
I first stamped the back of an attendance card with a gold and a melon ink pads.
I hand drew the puppy paws - a spiral with smaller spirals - the flip flops, and the stylized sun. I used a green card stock for the frame.
The text reads: Stacking wood in an
arrangement reminds me of
a funny sculpture.



September 4 #248


A single, hungry
hummingbird visits the blossom,
goodbye to summer

This entry is constructed of a piece of green scrapbooking paper glued to an attendance card. I cut the curved, u-shape to expose the stamped sun. The text is written on a piece of purple tissue paper glued over the green. The curved orange Japanese paper enlarges the sun and outlines the curve of the text, which is written in green gel pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment