Tuesday, September 7, 2010

fall morning in September

Yesterday was a very cool morning. Here's a photo to show you how cool it was - even Buck Wheat snuggled under the afghan.
It warmed up nicely. It's supposed to warm up today, but it's still overcast as of 10:00.
I'm tackling a spread in ART JOURNAL: July-Dec. I think the problem is that I had an idea for a strategy I wanted to use - cutting a shaped page out of watercolor paper, inserting it in the journal and using the negative shape on the next page- but I was stuck there. Usually the image evolves and then the approach is decided by the needs of the image.
Is that clear as mud?
The pages have some connections to the last entries for September in D.H. 2009. I like the verses especially about the numbers of leaves and their sound as they fall.
Last night we watched Doctor Zhivago in our quest to watch the 100 best movies of the 20th century. I loved the book and have seen the movie before. It's spectacular. Just incredible in it's imagery and emotions. It has some basis in Pasternak's life in that he had two loves and of course was a poet.




DAILY HAIKU 2009

September 7

I used the rectangle in a rectangle format with the text floating off to one side. The now standardized use of the "paw paper", the sun and flip flop stamp show that it was a warm day and that I walked with Deezel. The text documents a chore for the season.

Bring in the houseplants
too sensitive for autumn's
early, chilly air.
September 6
Here are the symbols again - paw paper, sun stamp and flip flop stamp. Also the commercial bird paper I've used to show a bird sighting. I traced around the sun's rays with a sharpie pen and added the yellow center. There's a piece of tissue paper covering another piece of tissue that had some ink on it. I'm not sure it's a good thing - it's dark and becomes the focal point. The bird needs something darker than the purple for the flip flops. The text written along the irregular edges helps unify the piece and looks like a hummingbird's flight path, a little. The date and day written along the bottom creates a platform for the image.





























No comments:

Post a Comment