Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day
It's starting as a lovely spring day. The sunrise had mauve clouds trimmed with brilliant gold and alternated with pale blue sky. The ferns are unwinding - they'll be my subject for my art journal work.
The jack-in-the-pulpits are piercing the earth with their spires. Although I haven't seen the ones in the woods. Last year,later than this, I had to move some of mine for more shade. I took two to school. One had its roots exposed, the other I planted in a jar. The kids did some lovely work. I made print plates with styrofoam sheets for them to use. Many kids and adults had never seen them or knew of them.
I brought my Haiku book home from school yesterday. I think many looked at it. The gloves I had left with it were dirty. I'm glad to have it home.
The second grade started their quilting unit and are sewing covers for books in their classrooms. Several kids in one of the classes are sewing and want to make covers for personal, accordion books. Kids love to stitch. When I stitched some scraps on my sample, I felt that love, that connection I have with sewing. I love the immediacy of glue and papers; I love the time and comtemplative nature of hand sewing - although, my thumb joints don't !!!

April 22, 2009
This simple entry marks the walk with the puppy through the woods. I used the tissue paper and stamped with a square inkpad to soften the white a little.

April 21, 2009
Having a puppy has some advantages - I'm out with him in the rainy morning and see this lovely image. The stems of the briars are red.I used some hole punch scraps for the raindrops. Nearly from the beginning of the project I used scraps, leftovers from other projects and junk mail in my collages. I used a box that had held chocolate cigars to hold the little, and smaller than little, pieces that were too good to throw out.
Drops collect along
the gentle curve of the bending
briar wih a day's rain.

The soft green is a vellum and the writing is on tracing paper.I covered the back with glue to make it more transparent.

No comments:

Post a Comment