Thursday, April 15, 2010

Dots, dots dots.....



Yesterday I hung the big dots at school. They look great. The first grade class I saw wasn't ready to be done with the project. They wanted to do more on the foam core. Several kids even asked when I said they could free draw, "Can I do more dots?"
It has been rewarding to focus on a theme for a long period of time. We largely encourage students to move from subject to subject too quickly. This theme was open ended enough to allow creativity and yet it had a purpose. Each student expressed him or herself. Most are abstract, some have geometric designs, some have specific images. There are all kinds of targets and eyes. Many have faces, and even those are varied.

Today, I have several errands (one to the post office to mail taxes) to run and calls to make, dog to walk and a doctor's appointment.

April 16,2009 the fifth grade is away, so I stayed home for the day.
This collage made itself - the scraps fell and I attached them as simply as possible.

April 15, 2009
First doggie class tonight with Deezel. Hope it goes well.
This art work is a doodle from my date book.

1 comment:

  1. I very much enjoyed your new Halibun poem/prose, as well as the images of the “dots” project from the school where you teach art. It is a joy to read about your work as a fiber artist/art teacher/poet, and I find myself looking forward to my frequent visits to your colorful and informative blog. As another fiber artist/teacher/writer, I appreciate your willingness to share your work so openly.

    I am intrigued by your creative process and would love to hear more about it. Could you perhaps write a bit about your motivations for creating your 2009 “365 Days of Haiku”? Do you find that creating images in words supports your fiber art process as well? Are you finding that keeping a blog helps to connect the rest of your creative processes? If so, I’d be interested in hearing more about those things in whatever ways you might feel like sharing your insights with your readers. I would also enjoy hearing from others of you who might be reading this blog about what sorts of things you do to support your creative process. Do any of you also write, or teach, or create mixed media fiber art or perhaps hand-made books? I look forward to an ongoing conversation with you, Merrilyn, as well as with others who might choose to comment. --Artquiltr

    ReplyDelete