Sunday, October 31, 2010

fall photo shoot, YES paste and finding useful tools

The trees at the end of October are still stunning. An occasional yellow (maple or beech) lights up even when it's raining. Oaks vary from a near burgundy to rust to golden yellow. I took my camera on the walk this morning to document this colorful extravaganza.
I just glued the tag book I made for August. I wanted to use "YES" paste to get that extra stability it provides, but I usually get it all over my fingers.
I used "YES",  and discovered tools to not have the usual problem, which would make it impossible to position the tags on the tracing paper backing. I spooned a dollop of paste into the cup that came on the cough medicine. I used a plastic knife to spread some on the back of each little tag. I held the tag down with a skewer. I used an old coin catalogue so I could turn the page and always have a clean surface to work on.

I'm adding a new feature to my blog using Picasa web albums as soon as I can properly install Picasa on my laptop.I use it on my Artists Workshop blog with kids' work posted.

DAILY HAIKU 2009

October 31, 2009 Where has another month gone???
I used the name of the day as the focal point, lettering tightly with bubble letters. They've been colored with ink pads. The word "halloween" adds texture to three letters along with the date. One large pumpkin and a string of small ones add to the image. A touch of green with the edge of an ink pad provides contrast and refers to the last line of the text which is written in one corner with pencil.

     Orange pumpkins glow.
   Crinkly leaves, yellow and rust
            blow over green grass.

October 30
Oh, I dislike celebrating Halloween at school. Particularly because I miss my two afternoon classes on Friday during the parade. I did make these fun projects with a couple classes. This is a marker depiction of a cut paper project. The text is an integrated part of the image and sums up the day:
                arrange cut and glue
excited by Halloween
                         sugar before art

October 29 was the day of the memorial service for my friend, Barbara Tebo. The purple honors her love of the color. The image is a disconnected assembly of flowers and  cheesecloth to represent textiles. The text is written on strips of white paper colored lightly with purple.

     a longterm friendship collects sadness and laughter say farewell with time 













October 28 I wove a small piece of scrap papers. The text appears on the laighter strips and documents the weaving project I do with fifth graders. A  woven-look advertisement frames the visual.  
October 27   I used the inside of an envelope for the basis of this entry. As I post this, I see a spelling mistake, but I think the verse is worth repeating:
Text and imagery illude my creative catch. Where are they hiding ?
A portion of the text is written on the card and the middle syllables are on a scrap of white paper. The date is also part of the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment