Monday, October 11, 2010

busy days,

WOW ! What a weekend. We were at the Governor's Inn in Rochester yesterday for Kim and Justin's wedding. The day started with shopping and a walk with Deezel. He'd be alone most of the day and needed some time and exercise. Gay, Roger's sister from Florida, came here first and we went to breakfast. Then to the wedding. It was a marvelous time and the weather was just about perfect also.
Saturday, we were at Great Island Common in New Castle, NH for a cookout and carving of pumpkins. Each pumpkin was a letter to spell out "Kimberlee &Justin". These were arranged as part of the circle formed by guests and attendants at the wedding. It was very windy at the Common, but sunny and the maples were sparkly - yellow, green and orange in the sun. We got home about 3:00. Roger and I caught the waning sun in our field with Deezel and Buck Wheat.

Friday, October 8, was a school day. It was "Studio" for all the classes. On those days, the kids work on whatever they started (or wish to start) to get ready to share the next time we meet. I've restructured the Artists' Workshop format. In the past it's been Week1 ,a lesson, Week 2 split for studio and share. At the end of the year last year. I asked all my classes what they liked and didn't like about "art". Every class wanted more studio time. And since I felt sharing time was always rushed, we are now on a 3 week model: week 1, a lesson, with some work time; Week 2, all studio time; Week 3 write and share time. This is modified somewhat for 1st grades where I offer them another project after they share.

Thursday, October 7
I didn't schedule to the last minute with chores. I did whatever I felt like. I called Mary L. to catch up. Of course, I walked with Deezel. Then we went to Newington to Kohl's for pants.Since I had finished two pieces for the exhibit in Exeter, I didn't do any art work.

Wednesday was a rainy, blustery day. I went to school and had a very good day. It was a write and share day for these classes. At the end of the class, I asked them why I ask them to do this because I sense some doubters about the work. Several were right on about it being time to see each other's work and be inspired. I also pointed out that it was a time to appreciate and really look at their own work. For the 5th grade, I pointed out it was a time to include all the art related vocabulary they'd heard these past 4 years. I stopped in Exeter to drop off "My White Dress" and "Haiku Collection-Fall'09", two 8 x 10 collages for The Voice & The Vision to open Saturday. Then I went to Dover for the journal writing class at Dover Adult Ed.

DAILY HAIKU 2009



This is colored pencil study I did. It recognizes my perpetual habit of collecting these lovely little items each fall.Actually it's a required ritual since I was young to fill my pockets with hickory nuts, acorns, and/or chestnuts only to admire their handsized beauty.

October 10 This depicts the view through the porch window of a geranium inside and the maple leaves as a backdrop. The yellow is a Crayola paint brush. The red and green, colored pencils.











 October 9
Making art with kids
brings satisfaction and keeps
personal art fresh.
This entry is a Crayola paint brush and Sharpie representation of an Oaxacan wood carving. My sister, Anne, brought it to me from one of her trips many years ago. I use it as a sample for second grade to make animals of Model Magic. Then each of them made a postcard using their animals as the subjects. .


October 8
I saved this leaf for its minute, jagged edges.I put it in a little zip-loc bag and stitched it to the card with an orange border from a postcard. I used a straight stitch and decorative stitches. Little pieces of puppy paw tissue paper and the flip flop stamp show Deezel and I took a walk.

Lovely fall day, leaves
blow violently on the branches,
skip across the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment