Thursday, October 14, 2010

from summer to winter

It was a zesty 36 degrees this morning. The cemetary we walked by had a coating of frost and gave it that soft, yet unreal look. Leaves are falling creating a crunchy multi-colored carpet. In the woods, the acorns are ballbearings under foot. I am careful when I walk. It's a little freaky to feel my foot roll along on a few of these little things. It's hard to believe that I don't just crush them.  They're just not that big.Soon they'll be covered with lovely white snow and I'll be using snowshoes to get through the woods.
I feel fall has been very quick.
After I get my car from the garage, I'm meeting Paula for lunch - not Paula from East Kingston, but from Montessori days. She's babysitting this afternoon. I'll go with her to see Amy and Benjamin. I may do some odd, light chores outside this afternoon. Or, I may make a quick trip to All About Paper on Route 1 in Hampton. I am beginning to plan for my annual Christmas card. Last year I replicated a Daily Haiku entry on a postcard and had it copied on white cardstock

DAILY HAIKU 2009
October 14
I am the mighty
oak leaf inspiring awe and
 creativity.
I came to appreciate the five syllable words that worked either in the first line or the last. For the art work, I traced the oak I'd made, split it as I drew and used colored pencils. The text is written with a Sharpie pen on tracing paper.
My favored style of lettering has the text traveling around one side of the card. It's effective for the content and the day. The right side has a light blue background and the sun stamp. The left side has the word rain written to enclose a drop shape and vertically.

The text has a square, irregular look to it with  a paw drawn and  flip flop stamp for my regular walk with Deezel. I added a few shapes and lines to the sun stamp.  The rest of the day was spent making winter preparations, then recuperating.

No comments:

Post a Comment