Thursday, February 4, 2010

sunsets, cedar waxwings, Crayola brushes

Thursday, February 4 2010
It's a bright sunny, yet cold, windy day. I'm working up the courage to take the dog for a walk.
I shared 365 Daily Haiku 2009 with the 4th grade yesterday. I get a great response from them when I share my own work and they get deeply connected to their own work after I've shared. I started with the fabric journal from 2003 about a bull pine in the woods that I've been observing, and paying homage to, for many years. Then we wrote some poems and did art on 3"x 5" cards. The kids got very involved.



I'd guess that this journal documents when I started having a fascination with the small size.These fabric pages measured 3"x 5".


2/2,3,4/09 These entries have a variety of themes and approaches.
On Feb 2, I started a Chinese bush painting class. To depict this, I used some paper I had with characters.I brushed the suggestion of bamboo stems and wrote the text on tracing paper to glue over the paper.The text is about the ink making process.
Grind stick slowly on
stone to make milky black ink,
shaded bamboo stalks.




February third shows the small maple on the school grounds. I saw and heard a flock of cedar waxwings on the tree as I left school. No such sighting this year.



I stamped the card with blue ink, glued down the commercial Japanese paper and used Crayola paint brushes to depict the tree.
Tiny tree filled with
chirping cedar waxwings on
a clear winter day.

It's missing a clear verb - should be "fills" .

The February 4th entry depicts the sunset and the shadows it cast in the woods.I used the Crayola brushes. Although kind of a cheater tool,they proved handy for any little painting I needed on this project.



Blue and orange stripes
stretch across the untouched snow,
glowing sun goes down.


I'm stitching some funky fabric and paper valentines for a selection of friends.I'll add these to the post a few days from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment