Wednesday, February 24, 2010

remembering events and printing styles

As I've been looking at the book Masters:Art Quilts, that I got in Lowell yesterday,reading the artist's statements, I began to question why I created "365 Daily Haiku 2009".
Initially it was purely an approach to dedicate time to creating without being stressfully overwhelming.Then it became a way to organize a day's observations to help remember the year's events. As the year went by, I realized that having a daily goal forced me to be more observant of something "special" about each day to record - a sight, an image or even a word.
Also, I've always been a text and textile person, this provided a strategy to focus on text,for its content and appearance. The challenge being that I've never been able to do lettering/writing and keep it straight. One of my goals was to be able to write on art work and have the writing "work" with the visual image. Frequently I use tracing paper over lined paper to do the writing and then apply it to the collage. Because this approach was limiting, my goal for straight writing seemed irrelevant as the year passed..
Another goal was to practice collage, since practicing anything, refines skill and develops understanding. Each entry became an exercise -similar to playing scales when learning to play an instrument- to hone sensitiivity to balance, variety creating a focal point, creating textures. In other words commiting to making art each day offered opportunity to utilize the principles of art and stay in touch with the elements of art.
Text and color provide unity and variety,light and dark provide contrast for #56, done for February 25,2009
My sister, Anne, friend, Ila, and I went to Concord NH to three galleries to see art. The first stop was at the League of New Hampshire Craftsmen. I cut up the postcard from that exhibit to collage in an abstraction to remember the day. The text lists the stops we made and is written on tracing paper with a calligraphy pen.

Just as a reminder, here's the bound book of "365 Daily Haiku 2009" ....

No comments:

Post a Comment