Sunday, February 28, 2010

grateful, yet challenging,

WOW we've had a few trying days. First the rain gave us our own river through the basement which the sump pump took care of Wednesday night and Thursday. But about 11:30 Thursday night the electricity went off due to the about 50mph winds and dozens of trees coming down. The end of our road looks like a war zone.
The photos are a little blurry, but they show the jist of it.
This is one of the sections I walk frequently, and it's sad to see all those old bull pines crushed. We now have electricity, but I'm assuming the people at the other end of the road do not.
Makes me grateful that we lost nothing, just suffered inconvenience at no fresh, hot coffee ready when I come down the stairs and no hot water for showers.
We had lanterns for some light, running water and the woodstove kept us warm.

365 Daily Haiku 2009
February 25

Scrub walls clean. Choose paint.
Thirty years in the same house
builds complex layers.



I like how this art works. It captures the dichotomy of cleansing yet wiping away memories.First, I wrote lists of stuff we washed away on the card. I used pencil. The tracing paper has a square from when I colored a piece of paper with charcoal and used a piece of tracing paper under the paper I was coloring. Before I wrote the verse,with Sharpie pen, I emphasized the square with strips of tracing paper.



February 26
Little did we know...
The long drive to Albion ME for another visit with our intended...

February 27


I went snowshoeing with a friend Jodi. We went to America's Stonehenge in Salem NH.
The snow was pretty well packed, and we were the only ones there. I'd been there several times with the 5th grade on fall field trips. For the art work,I drew some of the "stones" marking various seasonal points.

February 28
The month ends. Since it is a special month, I photo'd all the January entries and printed it out. I felt it was okay to use already created work for a new entry because of this uniqueness that February 28th has.

But as I looked back over the second month into my project, I could touch again each day, remember each event. Holding the time in my hands was a powerful incentive to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment