Saturday, February 13, 2010

playing catch up... giving hand crafted gifts.

Saturday, February 13.2010
After a busy Thursday ( 2/11/10)- at the audiologist's and buying a new car, followed by sitting and sleeping on the recliner - and school on Friday, I'm finally able to get back to Silver Penny Studio.
Have you ever been treated for "benign paroxysmal positional vertigo"? I had been dealing with it for about a month, primarily at night, but it made me nervous about walking the dog and going up and down stairs. After being treated, yesterday by noon I realized I was without that everpresent sensation that the ground wasn't where it should be. I can bend over to pick something up and not spin when I stand up...
I'm working on some kind of poem.

2/10/10 - nice pattern of numbers - Busy day at school with the usual classes

2/10/09


Last year, I made valentines for everybody at school (around 40). Today's art was from scraps of paper made from that project. I loved the gold on red and used a parchment that had gold writing on it for the text.

Create valentines
pink, red, ecru trimmed with gold,
make enough for all.


2/11/09 nothing like this year ...
We went to the wake for Roger's aunt, and godmother, where we reconnected with several of his cousins. Gail Bolton was Roger's paternal aunt, third to the youngest of the San Soucie family.
I used some tracing paper that had been under the red paper when I drew gold lines for the valentines. It made me think of an animal track..



I wrote on the back of the paper using a white marker and wrote the text of piece of tracing paper which I glued over everything.

Youthful family
reunions mean food, games;
with age, mean loss.

Gail Bolton 1917 -2009

We used to get together with members of the San Soucie family every summer when that generation of siblings was middle aged, now well...

2/12/09 Thursday I worked with the 4th grade on their weekly writing, they used a valentine related prompt. I had been collaborating with the 4th grade teachers since before Thanksgiving to write every Thursday morning. From the "happiness" suggested by today's entry, it was a particularly successful writing time.



I used a scrap from the paper for the tags on the valentines I made, but trimmed the page with an orange Color Box stamp pad.

And today's entry 2/13/09.....
I felt slighted that so few people noticed my handmade valentines - that sounds so childish, but it made me realize again that to give a gift truly, I have to let go of my attachment to it. I made fewer valentines this year.I'll post photos of them tomorrow.

I attached scraps in a totally ramdom order and wrote the text over them with a calligraphy pen.
Since when I make something, there's a little of my spirit in each one, I hope that spirt will touch the spirit of the recipient. But if it doesn't, my spirit is saddened.Luckily this feeling does not keep me from creating again. Perhaps the spirit of the recipient is inaccessible through that avenue.

Is this sensation parallel to the vertigo?
What's the treatment to get those semi-circular canals aligned?

No comments:

Post a Comment