Saturday, June 5, 2010

obsessed with peonies


The gentle rain of early morning transformed into a thunder storm then returned to gentle rain. I picked three more peony stalks last night. The bouquet is lovely. I did a pencil sketch of it in the studio window (a la Pierre Bonnard).Here's a photo of the arrangement. I'm not the first person to fall in love with an arrangement of peonies - just google its images.
I wish I had more skill with watercolors, guess it's time to work on that. My summer plans include keeping a watercolor journal.

Work in my art journal has come to a halt - stuck on the immense horror of the oil spill and its destruction and long term consequences. Maybe it's too big a subject to tackle on such a small scale. All those animals and people whose lives are gone and torn apart.
I cried at the news last night when they showed the pelicans struggling to walk and then talked to some kids of the area. Too tragic for my poor skills.

I'm hanging on to the incredible beauty of the peony blossoms representing the beauty of the earth.

DAILY HAIKU 2009
Another day of rain depicted with a piece of purple tissue and white tissue painted purple. The word "rain" written with a Flair pen frames the vellum with writing on it. (I could write the same verse for June 4 of 2010)












June 4, 2009

This technique I saw in one of the many books on collaging. I used the paper from another sketchbook and highlighted the edge where it was in the binding. One piece is painted with a Crayola paint brush. The top piece is the oyster color. A piece of scrap tissue links the two together and provides a writing surface. I like the gold paper scraps.The long rays of the morning sun has a magical way of lighting up the forest with its new foliage.
quick walk through the woods
trees have big leaves, shaded path
into the unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment