Sunday, May 30, 2010

how many ways can rain be depicted ??

It's a cool morning. I'll be taking the dog for a walk and cutting some little trees in the back of my shade garden (#2). My thumb joints are killing me and that work won't help, but I've got to keep working.

Pine pollen gives a yellow-green cast to every surface. The peonies are opening. The lupine looks good also. I thought I only had one spike, but several are opening.

A little garter snake was sleeping in my garden in the sun. For people where the snakes are poisonous, this may sound totally creepy, but for NE residents, they're great pest controllers. I'm honored when one of these creatures chooses my garden to inhabit. I haven't seen any toads yet.

Yesterday, I finished moving house plants from the studio window sill to the sun porch. Then I washed the windows and rearranged the trinkets that adorn my studio. The room has such an open feeling with all the plants gone. My book 365 DAILY HAIKU 2009 has a place of honor on a square, white platter with various treasures around it.


I'm mentally working through some ideas for my oil spill art. I've got several components in my head, and will have to play with them to get the "correct" placement. I stamped a spiral on the inside of an envelope and am cutting those to be the poisonous tendrils of oil and greed that are choking the Gulf. As I write this, the news is that the "top kill" didn't work.

DAILY HAIKU 2009
May is usually such a pretty month. In 2009, however, rain was the primary visual. The weather affects and effects me, so I depicted each day that the rain predominated. It proved to be a summer of rain. I'd purchased several grey stamp pads by this point. I used them directly for the ellipse "puddle" shape and the straight lines. The text took on a sameness -written with a calligraphy pen on tracing paper and glued midway on the cards; I even repeated some phrases. I used scraps of text vertically on each of these.



Puddles saturate
the earth and stretch beyond their
springtime boundaries.




torrential downpours
interrupted by drizzle
cabin fever strikes




rain, sloshy, green grass
bleeding hearts have gone to seed
irises need sun

No comments:

Post a Comment