Sunday, May 16, 2010

having a pedicure & manicure

WOW ! Treating yourself to a manicure or a pedicure is a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful treat. My nails looked so bad, every time I'd start to work, I'd be distracted by their irregular lengths and the stains. Today I got French tips - with the white and they look great... I don't have messy work scheduled for school and did some weeding today, so I'll be able to keep them looking good for a while. Hopefully for a nephew's wedding.

I met with Dawn, Paula, and Katie (Paula's daughter, who is an art student). We shared our work that we've been doing since we last met. I had several spreads in my Art Journal. (I'll post them tomorrow.)Since it's getting too bulky to close, I'll soon be needing a new journal. Dawn had her "photo a day" collection. Paula shared some graphic designs she's done for a wedding. Kate had projects from school - a book, some photos and poster designs. Then, we went to the salon.

I'm working on some ideas to capture the ugliness of the oil spill. I had hoped to challenge some students to do that, but I think it's time to sort art work, mount anything, finish work and prepare portfolios to go home. The Tuesday and Wednesday classes have time. It may be a good lesson in art that isn't pretty, but expresses a catastrophe. Has anyone got some to share?
The entry for a year ago offers some possibilities for techniques.

DAILY HAIKU May 16, 2009

I wrapped the card in white tissue paper. Then I rubbed some paper with pencil and attached it to the front. I edged the tissue with yellow and green and did more crosshatching. This Haiku works as a sentiment and an image.
Solid grey clouds mute
the colors of spring, slow the
sunless passing time.

1 comment:

  1. Your comment today about working on some ideas to express the ugliness of the oil spill in the Gulf hits close to home, since I live in one of the nearby states which are collectively hoping-against-hope that the spill doesn't destroy the fragile Gulf eco-system or drift into the Loop, which flows around the Florida Keys and up the Atlantic Coast. Often, it seems, it is working artists who find ways to put form and meaning around such turning points in history. I'm wondering about others of you who are reading this blog. Have you used your art to process ideas and issues that challenge or distress you? I'd appreciate hearing more about your individual creative process in that regard, should you choose to share. And I look forward to seeing more of your images as they evolve, Merrilyn. --Artquiltr

    ReplyDelete