Tuesday, November 16, 2010

a week's worth of entries, Mercer Museum and Diana's Country Dog Inn

We've had a busy week. On Friday, we left for Wyncote, PA. to spend the weekend with my sister, Elizabeth, for her 70th birthday.
On Saturday, we visited the Mercer Museum in Doylesville, PA.http://www.mercermuseum.org/ . It's filled with a collection begun by Henry Mercer. The collection numered in the hundreds of thousands of items and varied from a whaling boat and conestoga wagon to a loom and musical instruments. The "stuff" was fascinating, but the building made of cement without blueprints was just as interesting.
He was an archeologist and a potter. He made the Moravian tiles at the pottery works. www.buckscounty.org/departments/tileworks
We got home Sunday about 3:00.We picked the dog up at Diana's  where he must have played for three days. He's been pooped since we got home.http://www.dianascountrydoginn.webs.com/
Yesterday, I went to the doctor's twice to get help for the pain and loss of use of my thumb on my right hand. I now have a soft brace for everyday use and a small splint for flareups and night. It's amazing that, yes the pain has subsided. I also had a parafin bath (for my hand) !!! WOW that was wonderful. I'm on my way this morning to invest in one for home.

DAILY HAIKU 2009
November 16  This is a copy of a trading card with a red theme (see also Nov 14). the papers are from an advertisement torn and rubbed to look distressed. I sketched flip flops and spirals for the dog's paws with a gel pen in the corners. The text is written on tracing paper in a funky font.













The season's fresh fall
Rich mahoghany, red leaves
Fade to tan and brown.

November 15
I went with Paula and Dawn to an art share in Concord. It was interesting.
This entry has scraps of pages from an old book over a small piece of tissue, edged with a little pencil shadowing and the text is written over the book's text with a marker.












For November 14 I copied another trading card with a red theme that I traded. I glued the copy to a 3" x 5" card.The trading card is a stencil of a leaf I've used many times. Around the edges  I used a red gel pen to write:
pomegranate seeds
 cardinals, candy apples
autumn leaves, sunsets
I glued it to a red 3" x5' card that has "rain" written diagonally on the larger side.


November 13
We went out to dinner with Mary, Bud, Nancy and Roy to remember Barbara. I simply used a piece of commercial scrapbooking paper stamped around the edges with gold and a piece of tissue paper for the text handwritten in a fancy cursive.
Let's meet for dinner
refresh long friendships,toast friends
 who've left our embrace



This is self explanatory -  a photo of Deezel on the beach for the first time, wind in his ears....
low tide, wet, grey sand
tennis ball, playful puppy
breeze ruffles your ears


November 11
Tracing paper stitched over cheesecloth and tissue with dog paw prints has the text written in pencil.








One extra day off
creativity catch up
6 Daily Haiku

This entry celebrates the numeral for the date - 11/10/ 09 .
They decorate the card in varied fonts and styles. Other dates are marked along the top.  ( 7/8/09  and 8/9/10).The verse is written on a piece of printed vellum in blue and  it is glued over the large central numerals.
              Today's numerals
         run consecutively in
       descending order.


Monday, November 9
This entry has several layers.  First, I used a bare tree stamp around the edges. Under everything several tiny red strips of a commercial paper are arranged casually. The card is from an advertisement for an open house at a local greenhouse( a portion of the zip code and address are somewhat visible) . I used a piece of red parchement from the mail and a red from an advertisement to write the text on with a pen. The grass is stamped with the barcode stamp and the trees are stitched. I like the verse.



               Candy apple red leaves
           drop to Autumn's green grass.
                  Black branches are still.

No comments:

Post a Comment