Wednesday, March 2, 2011

vacation day trip, artful thoughts

Today has been a lovely, sunny early spring/late winter day. Deezel keeps coming to me, staring at me for minutes, and then leaving. He's desperate for somebody to take him on a loop through the woods. It's still forty degrees, but the wind is very strong.
I drove to Lowell today to see the SAQA exhibit "No Holes Barred". There were several inspirational pieces. Check out http://www.nequiltmuseum.org/  It's all experimental work done with great skill !!!  I love visiting the museum, brings back many pleasant memories of my days there as Program Manager.

I had lunch at Life Alive. It's a snazzy restaurant with organic and healthy foods. It's a pleasant atmosphere. All Lowell Arts has opened a gallery in the building opposite the Quilt Museum, but I chose rather to see the prints at the Brush Gallery. WOW You can get more information and the names of the artists, but not many images at http://www.thebrush.org/ .
One piece, an artist's book had pages cut in the shape of hands. The paper must have been hand made. Primarily white, each had a relief printing on one side. Truly inspirational, it's one of those "why-didn't-I-think-of-that?" visions. The maker is Christiane Corcelle-Lippeveld. http://www.christiane-corcelle-arts.com/ When you go to the website, check out "Project 52".

Yesterday, I had  afternoon tea with Mimi. We shared projects - her writing, and visual art, my scroll and Art Journal 2010 Aug- Dec. One topic we touched on was my switch from fabric to collage/paper art. It was a fairly easy switch. I do miss fabrics in my hands.
I have two small pieces for fabric in my mind, and I may finish one and make the other. I may, but it's not the drive it once was to create in fabric. As long as I have a satisfying, fulfilling artform to be part of, I'm good.

When I see the work that I saw today, I think I might get back to quiltart; I have the fabrics. I bought two Japanese fabrics.  I even bought two Sashiko needles, because they are long and would be easier to pull through the fabric ( I read that on the Cloth,Paper Scissors post today).
Suddenly, the sky is a cool grey, and a snow squall is blowing through. Again, suddenly, the sky shows a bit of blue, the sun glares behind the clouds and breaks through, creating blue shadows on the white snow. The winds remain strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment