Sunday, December 30, 2018

not

moon poem


November 5, 2006, four thirty pm

Driving home from Lowell
On Route 495
The full moon is my playmate.

First, its smiling face appears at the horizon
Pale pink, a Necco wafer pasted on a pale blue sky
Barely different

My car’s compass tells me whether I’m headed N or NW and even NS
The Moon glides behind oak covered hills,
Burnt orange, deep red, maroon and gold bands or
Clouds among the purple of the naked branches of indiscernible species.

It slides out from behind feather tipped hills of  black naked branches.
It partially hides behind the hills of pine to pop up

As I change direction, it is at my side
Too far to the right to safely watch
As it morphs from pink to baby soft yellow, more white
Once, I’m driving NW for a short time,
His smiling face is on my left,
Thrilling me, a flirtatious face of an impish, new love.

As I take the Exit to Route 101
Nearing my destination,
The moon glides effortlessly along
Now above the horizon.
Is it really a stone object miles away.

And I sadly realize that
I am not his only playmate
Hundreds of other bright glaring lights in pairs, red lights, trying to keep me focused on the road ahead.
Many others too are being toyed with.
He is not my faithful watchful friend accompanying me as I turn onto New Road
Where the darkness has distorted the oak, the pine, the naked maples.
 He’s behind the trees, still now,. I am home.
   
not sure what direction NS is ???? typo? humor? maybe should be NE..
This is the first draft.


No comments:

Post a Comment